So my husband made me a protein shake – with a vegan base, cherry juice, almond milk, and blackberries. If you drink 5 cups of liquid before 11:00 a.m., you are basically ensuring that you will be well hydrated for the day ahead.
I drank a glass, and then went for a second. I felt the plastic in my mouth. I took it out and realized that a silica gel pack must have dropped from the vega-based protein into the blender and was now on its way down to my stomach.
I panicked. I called the 24-hour nurse hotline on my insurance card. The nurse was not definitive. She couldn’t tell me if I was ok or not. She told me to call 911 and have the paramedics check me out. The packet I showed them said: “Do not eat” but also “Contains a Harmless Substance.” Phil was screaming : “Don’t let them take you to the hospital. It will be 6-8 hours before they let you go.” And no one was telling me if what I swallowed is harmless or poisonous!
Phil got in touch with my daughter who Gooogled it up. “What happens if you ingest silica pack?” and the answer: “ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.” By that time, the paramedics had gotten in touch with Poison Control and they confirmed I did not need to go to the hospital.
Would you want to grow old with a man that doesn’t notice a silica packet dropping into the blender?